By Dodi Walker Gross, L’82
Partner at Reed Smith LLP
How should the question be answered in an interview? Here are some suggestions.
- Be prepared.
- Describe what you are looking for – why you are interviewing for the job.
- Explain your personal qualities that make you a perfect fit for the job.
- Talk about relevant experience that shows consistency with the stated reason for interviewing and highlights the skills that you make a perfect fit.
- Resist the temptation to talk about hobbies and sports, unless it illustrates how you handle difficult situations or other aspects of the job.
- Highlight relevant aspects of your resume.
- Don’t badmouth the prior employer.
- If this is all you get to say in the interview, make sure you leave a positive impression with clear information.
This series is written by members of the Career/Employment Committee of the Duquesne Law Alumni Association with the intent to provide helpful job search tips and suggestions for students and alumni.