The Career Services Office welcomes you to the Duquesne University School of Law! We hope as you begin your classes and become accustomed to your new surroundings, you will take advantage of the services and programs offered by the CSO. Feel free to stop by our office – Room 209, near The Coffee Tree Roasters – any time and say hello!
The CSO and Law Clinic will hold a mandatory orientation program for our offices in October, but you can do things now to get ready for your job search and clinical work going forward.
What should you do now?
- Join student organizations to help determine or strengthen your interests in different areas of law.
- Join professional organizations or affinity groups, such as the Allegheny County Bar Association, Pennsylvania Bar Association, Women’s Bar Association, or American Bar Association – each has free or discounted student memberships available.
- Stop by the CSO Express table in the Student Lounge each week for free coffee, snacks, and CSO tips.
- Follow the CSO via The Common Plea, Twitter (@DuquesneLawCSO), and Facebook (Duquesne University School of Law Career Services Office).
- Create a LinkedIn profile.
- Attend programs offered by the CSO and other Law School offices and student organizations.
- Use a professional email address for all correspondence. Example: Your Duquesne email address.
- Review your on-line presence, including Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn. Google your name to ensure you present a professional image on the internet.
- Create a professional voice mail message.
What should you do later in the semester?
- Draft a legal resume and cover letter.
- Schedule an appointment to discuss your job search strategies, resume, and cover letter.
- Begin your search for summer employment, fellowships, internships, or volunteer opportunities.
- Identify people with whom you can make professional connections (alumni, family, friends, etc).
- Finalize your resume and application documents, targeted to specific employers.
For now, we wish you good luck as you start your law school career!