Join the CSO for this program at either Tuesday, September 16 * 12:00-1:00 p.m. * Room 308 or Wednesday, September 17 * 5:00-6:00 p.m. * Room 308! Plan an effective job search during your last year of law school, including how to best approach networking, applying directly to firms and responding to job postings. Refreshments provided. RSVP welcomed, but not required, via DuqLawConnect – Events tab. (The same program will be offered twice.)
Category Archives: Uncategorized
Matthew Mohn (Reed Smith) and Bill Ries (Tucker Arensberg), both experienced partners at their firms, will be providing insight into their legal careers. In addition to the these attorneys, Nicole Bechtold (Reed Smith) and Amy Tardiff (Tucker Arensberg), both newer associates at their firms, will give their prospective on the market and how they went about obtaining their jobs.
This panel discussion, co-sponsored with the Corporate Law Society, will be held on Tuesday, September 17, from 5:00-6:00 p.m. in Room 203. Refreshments will be provided. Please RSVP for this event by sending an email to CLSDuquesne@gmail.com.
The Career Services Office welcomes you to the Duquesne University School of Law! We hope as you begin your classes and become accustomed to your new surroundings, you will take advantage of the services and programs offered by the CSO.
The CSO and Law Clinic will hold a mandatory orientation program for our offices in October, but you can do things now to get ready for your job search and clinical work going forward.
What should you do now?
- Join student organizations to help determine or strengthen your interests in different areas of law.
- Join professional organizations or affinity groups, such as the Allegheny County Bar Association, Pennsylvania Bar Association, Women’s Bar Association, or American Bar Association – each has free or discounted student memberships available.
- Stop by the CSO Express table in the Student Lounge each week for free coffee, snacks, and CSO tips.
- Follow the CSO via The Common Plea, Twitter (@DuquesneLawCSO), and Facebook (Duquesne University School of Law Career Services Office).
- Create a LinkedIn profile.
- Attend programs offered by the CSO and other Law School offices and student organizations.
- Use a professional email address for all correspondence. Example: Your Duquesne email address.
- Review your on-line presence, including Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn. Google your name to ensure you present a professional image on the internet.
- Create a professional voice mail message.
What should you do later in the semester?
- Draft a legal resume and cover letter.
- Schedule an appointment to discuss your job search strategies, resume, and cover letter.
- Begin your search for summer employment, fellowships, internships, or volunteer opportunities.
- Identify people with whom you can make professional connections (alumni, family, friends, etc).
Finalize your resume and application documents, targeted to specific employers.
For now, we wish you good luck as you start your law school career!
Registration is now open for the Allegheny County Bar Association 2013 Fall Soccer League. This is a great opportunity for students to meet attorneys in a casual atmosphere. Games will be played on Sunday mornings at 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. at the Winchester Thurston School Athletic Field in Shadyside, seven players per side, two twenty-five minute halves. Rosters will be limited to 15 players maximum, including at least 3 women. At least one woman per team must be on the field at all times. All players must be ACBA members or law student members. The regular season will consist of eight games beginning on Sunday September 8, 2013 and ending on Sunday October 27, 2013. The semi-finals will be held on Sunday November 3, 2013 and the championship game will be held on Sunday November 10, 2013. The championship team will have their names engraved on the ACBA Cup.
Space is limited to only 6 teams. The registration fee is $50 per person. Effort will be made to balance the teams out with talent to keep the games competitive. You may register as an individual and will be assigned to a team. Charles Grudowski has agreed to have his law firm, Grudowski Law, LLC, sponsor T-shirts for the league.
To register, complete a Registration Form and send it to the league commissioner, Charles Grudowski, at CJG@GrudowskiLaw.com or call (412) 855-7727. The deadline for registration is Friday, August 23, 2013. Questions should be directed to Mr. Grudowski.